Tuesday, August 4, 2009

WHEN IT RAINS! – AZRA

When it rains
I'm hoping you are thinking of me(more than anything else)
-out on the road, or
by the window side,
or wherever else.

You watch the rain

coloring up the world around you_

The coolness, freshness

And that aroma of damp earth

the sensation rain evokes in you
the mood it sets,

and the magic and intimacy...

Do you think of me then?



When it rains,

I hope the feelings it stirs up in you

Are the same feelings (i hope) I cause in you.



Is my fragrance in the moist breeze?

(which whips up memories long forgotten)

Do the drizzles that softly kiss your cheek

(remind you of our walks in the rain?)

Those drops slipping down your arms to your hands (your hands...)

do you find me in them?

When a wind blew off your umbrella

did you remember the times I dragged you into the downpour??
Does the soft music of the monsoons

echo with my voice



Guess I should just let go of it all.

Because,
Instead of you thinking of me (when it rains)

It's me thinking of you.

-Not the other way round

Which is actually what I want.



Now
Together

Only

In the lines of my poems.


And the distance between

filled by

rains,
the music we shared
and
those coffee cups.



Can you see me,
The way I see you
Standing there

Just beyond the shimmering veil

of falling rain drops.
With a small smile.

(Yes, even your smallest smile will do)

5 comments:

Aparajita said...

Beautiful poem, but you could have left out the last line in parentheses. Yes, even your smallest smile will do?? Too prosaic to be the ending to an otherwise lovely poem.

FishEye said...

I've commennted on the other five...so,for the sake of saying something about this one - no comments :p

Anubhav Mishra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thoughts Over Chai said...

i love the poem :)

Anubhav Mishra said...

Nice work. Commendable use of parentheses.